Woodford Parish Church Memorial Hall – A Short History
On land behind the Hall once stood Woodford Hall, the childhood home of William Morris and a plaque commemorating this fact is on the front of the building.
In 1904 further accommodation was added to the rear of the building. Originally built as a gymnasium it now provides a large and popular space. The Hall has been in extensive use ever since and up to the Second World War was a popular venue for public meetings, lectures and talks on issues of the time. Its stage and associated facilities was home to many drama societies.
After a disastrous fire that destroyed St Mary’s Church in 1969, services were held in the Hall until the Church was rebuilt. With the formation of the London Borough of Redbridge the court house in the old rectory (then Wanstead and Woodford town hall) was lost and the Memorial Hall provided temporary court facilities for a time.
Today it continues to provide a wide range of facilities to the local community.